PCB Process Operations Technician - Level 4/5
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PCB PROCESS OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN - LEVEL 4/5
SpaceX is developing a low latency, broadband internet system to meet the needs of consumers across the globe. Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable. We are looking for talented, creative, and driven technicians to drive manufacturing output and yield. You will have ownership of one or more process areas and will have the opportunity to directly impact Starlink’s products. You will have frequent interaction with engineering teams and leadership and will participate in developing and validating new equipment, processes, and technologies. The success of Starlink depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, security, and user experience of the products that you will manufacture.
As a PCB Process Technician on Starlink, you will take ownership of state-of-the-art production processes and equipment performance and reliability by monitoring process parameters and maintaining components, with a keen eye for leading indicators of instability or malfunction, and a drive to correct those issues in advance of undesirable events. This position is responsible for the development, implementation, and operationalization of equipment, facilities, treatment and manufacturing process technologies necessary for high volume production.
- Execute startup and shutdown procedures for production equipment
- Identify equipment and process deviations and perform corrective actions. Perform necessary interventions to maintain process parameters. This may include chemical analysis, additions, recipe changes, and machine adjustments
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and calibrate a variety of process equipment including plating, etching stripping, developing, surface treatment, and cleaning equipment
- Work with engineers and technicians to create operating procedures
- Use knowledge of systems and existing documentation like schematics and parts lists to create and maintain a mature and efficient hardware inventory system – including procurement of critical spares
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities for yield, performance, and cost
- Track schedule for and perform preventive maintenance and calibration of equipment and instruments
- Perform dispositions and rework for nonconforming PCBs
- Provide feedback on failure modes and support engineering to drive root cause of yield limiters
- Perform training of production personnel
- Maintain inventory of consumables
- Safely handle chemicals (including transporting and loading) and chemical handling equipment
- Collect, segregate, and transport waste from generation points to the hazardous waste storage area
- Recommend improvements to manufacturing processes and work with engineers to develop, implement, and refine processes with a specific focus on reducing cost and downtime and increasing yield
- Read, interpret, and follow technical documents such as manufacturing work instructions
- Ensure 5S standards are upheld by maintaining a clean and organized work area
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- High school degree or equivalency certificate
- 5+ years of experience working in a hands-on technical position or an associate’s degree in a STEM field
- Proficiently use a computer and MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience with printed circuit boards (PCBs), engineering laminates, electrochemical processes, and/or microelectronics fabrication (including school projects, clubs, or internships)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment or wet lab
- Experience with process parameters and engineering units for temperature, pressure, flow, and power
- Ability to read and understand P&ID and schematic wiring diagrams
- Experience with mechanical equipment and systems requiring the isolation of the malfunction, disassembly of industrial machinery and repair/replacement of bearings, gears, structural components
- Experience with lock out tag out, job hazard analysis, hot work permitting
- Experience handling flammable, toxic, corrosive, or hazardous chemicals
- Experience using production and inventory management software such as MES/ERP
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to work closely with other technicians and cross-functional teams
- Ability to identify and maintain priorities for tasks and projects while staying organized
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working independently in a high-paced, challenging work environment with minimal oversight
- Current or past certification for IPC-A-600, IPC-6012 or equivalent
- Willing to work all shifts, overtime and weekends as needed. Estimated shift times: 7:30AM - 5:30PM
- Able to work all shifts and available for overtime and weekends as needed
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching may be required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. unassisted
- Able to work outside with hand tools
- Able to stand, climb, walk and work with object overhead
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
PCB Process Technician/Level 4: $35.00 - $43.00/hour
PCB Process Technician/Level 5: $40.00 - $50.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.