Supervisor, NDE Operations (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SUPERVISOR, NDE OPERATIONS (STARSHIP)
This position will report directly to the Starship Quality Manager. The NDE function is organized within focused production area cells alongside Starship development activities utilizing multiple and varied inspection methods to efficiently provide quality control and protect product reliability.
As the NDE Supervisor at SpaceX you will be required to interface across the business. The job function will require emphasizing a “quality first” culture with the team while performing hands-on inspection, troubleshooting, and managing inspectors during day-to-day NDE activities. The supervisor will interact with technical and operations leaders at Starbase. The candidate should possess strong leadership characteristics, structured control, and data-driven performance management, as well as soft skills, such as influencing and persuading. A key eye for detail and the ability to work within complex teams to reach company-wide goals are also attributes which a successful candidate must possess.
- Schedule and prioritize work-flow management
- Act as the interface between the team and relevant production partners and customers
- Collaborate with the engineering and level III teams to support inspection requirements
- Manage inspector career development planning and certification training to meet inspection needs in the work center
- Assist in sourcing, recruiting, and hiring
- Manage maintenance planning and scheduling for equipment and facilities
- Prioritize and increase inspection quality by deploying lean strategies, 5S, Kaizen and data-driven metric development
- Manage ASME/NBIC program
- Ensure team maintains proficiency using modern inspection methods, automated systems, tooling, etc. relevant to the work center
- Interact with NDE Engineering and R&D on seamless transitions with minimal production impact
- Assist in the introduction of technological change
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience leading/managing a team in a manufacturing production environment
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Level II certification(s) in line with ANST TC-1A or NAS 410 or DOD guidance in one or more surface methods (PT, MT, VT) and two or more advance methods (PAUT, ET, RT)
- Demonstrated strong organizational, communication, and leadership skills while managing multiple priorities
- NDE level III certification in one or more methods
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or technical management field
- 5+ years of aerospace experience in a manufacturing production environment
- Knowledge of NASA 5009 standards
- Certified as a NBIC commissioned inspector
- Certifiable as an NBIC OUIO commissioned inspector / supervisor
- Knowledge of AMS, AWS/ASME, ASTM
- Knowledge and understanding of NAS 410 standards
- Problem solving tools and techniques: 5 whys, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, Root Cause Analysis
- Knowledge and experience in lean manufacturing principles: ex. 5S, Kaizen, continuous improvement, DMAIC
- Basic computer skills: Microsoft office applications - Word, Power Point, Excel
- CAD packages such as Siemens NX, Catia, Pro-E, E
- Experience in working with fracture critical products and parts
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of aerospace materials, manufacturing processes, assemblies, technique specific systems
- Ability to lift 25lbs unassisted, bend, stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, walk, and work at heights
- Willing to work extended hours and on weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines if needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supervisor, NDE Operations: $110,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.