Environmental Health & Safety Technician
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY TECHNICIAN
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Technicians will be responsible for regulatory requirements relating to OSHA, RCRA, EPA, and DOT requirements. Works with engineers and technicians daily to ensure our manufacturing facility can support manufacturing goals while meeting all environmental, health, and safety objectives.
- Responsible for environmental compliance with all applicable regulations including but not limited to AQMD, LACSD, RWQCB, EPA/RCRA, DOT and CUPA
- Perform tasks related to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) regulatory hazardous waste handling, storage and disposal requirements
- Monitor and manage levels of hazardous waste at each department’s satellite accumulation area
- Ensure all waste is properly labeled
- Ensure all waste is properly stored, according to its classification
- Accurately record and maintain 90-day hazardous waste drum logs, hazardous waste sign in sheets, VOC Solvent usage logs
- Accurately perform all required hazardous waste and hazardous material storage area inspections
- Assist in waste shipments with the waste disposal contractor
- Perform weekly storm water inspections per the SWPPP
- Perform tasks related to spill response/prevention
- Implement the spill prevention countermeasures and control plan (SPCC) throughout the facility
- Order and maintain adequate spill supplies: spill pads, empty drums, secondary containment, and other equipment necessary to maintain safe handling and correct disposal of hazardous waste
- Perform environmental compliance and due diligence audits
- Manage hazardous materials and ensure all hazardous material are labeled and stored properly in the storage areas
Health and Safety
- Perform boots-on-the-ground safety oversight by Identifying and correcting work place hazards and unsafe conditions
- Monitor employee exposure to job and chemical hazards as regulated by Cal OSHA permissible exposure limits
- Assist in the implementation and compliance of site-specific safety policies
- Coordinate with the EHS Technician Supervisor and EHS Manager to develop and implement new safety policies as required
- Assist in the creation of job hazard analysis and personal protective equipment (PPE) assessments
- Conduct and/or coordinate employee safety and environmental training programs and assist with emergency response training drills
- Perform department specific safety surveys using inspection forms to ensure employees are utilizing safe work practices such as utilizing proper PPE, minimizing trip hazards, wearing fall protection etc.
- Ensure notification and corrective actions are put in place when any unsafe condition is presented or found throughout the site
- Perform inspections of the site’s emergency response equipment
- Assist the EHS engineers in accident/mishap investigations when necessary
- Conduct inspections of hazardous waste accumulation and storage, universal waste storage, eye wash/shower, outdoor equipment stormwater collection areas, construction SWPPP BMP, industrial SWPPP BMP’s, weekly safety inspections, first aid kits, fire extinguishers, emergency lighting/exits, self-contained breathing apparatus, spill prevention countermeasures and control plan, forklift, boom lift, scissor lift, fall protection equipment, lifting straps and slings
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of experience implementing and overseeing aspects related to an environmental, health and safety program
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience implementing/developing health and safety plans and policies
- Experience with emergency response crews in incidents involving hazardous and non-hazardous material releases to air, soil and water
- Experience in managing hazardous waste storage and satellite accumulation areas
- Experience in performing boots on the ground safety oversight
- Experience using Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Demonstrated strong propensity for hands-on work and attention to detail in either academic or career pursuits
- Ability to multi-task, to manage shifting priorities and to follow through on projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a construction/industrial environment
- Ability to communicate well with technicians and engineers
- Strong organizational and communication skills are essential
- This is not a remote or hybrid position and will require relocation if not already local to the Hawthorne, CA area
- Position occasionally requires the ability to work overtime and weekends when needed
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs unassisted
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
EHS Technician/Level 1: $23.00 - $31.00/hour
EHS Technician/Level 2: $28.00 - $37.00/hour
EHS Technician/Level 3: $33.00 - $43.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.