Lead Thermal Development Technician - 2nd Shift
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD THERMAL DEVELOPMENT TECHNICIAN - 2ND SHIFT
The Thermal Protection Systems (TPS) team tackles space exploration’s toughest problems by developing the heat shields for our next generation rockets and spacecraft. This hardware must survive the most extreme environments known to mankind and protect our vehicle through atmospheric entry.
As a Lead Technician on the TPS team, you will lead a team of technicians in a hands-on environment and will spend time in the office, on the factory floor, and in the lab to execute on the mission to bring the capability of flying astronauts back to the United States.
- Drive overall work scope, and keep operations moving efficiently
- Schedule and assign work, and assess completed work while adhering to all company quality standards
- Ensure employees have the tools and materials they need to carry out their duties
- Elevate all blockers/issues with good communication across all support teams including engineering and management
- Write up daily updates/shift handoff on work progress, completed work, future needs, blockers, and improvements
- Follow and ensure that company safety process and standards are being followed
- Lead training initiatives within the production team
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 5+ years of experience as a technician or mechanic
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with thermal heat shield, composites, or ceramics
- Ability to comprehend fluids system schematics, operational procedures, and work instructions
- In-depth understanding of the heat shield operations and processes
- Knowledge of Warp, Jira and Eprocs systems for tracking daily activities
- Ability to be diplomatic with a variety of individuals across the organizational infrastructure
- Skilled in operating and manipulating automation machinery
- Ability to utilize precision measuring and scale instruments
- Knowledge of different fittings such as NPT, AN, and PVC fitting
- Intermediate skill level using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook)
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high paced production and challenging work environment
- This is a 2nd shift role working from 3:30 PM - 2:00 AM
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Physical effort including standing, lifting, and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (25 lbs. unassisted)
- Work occasionally performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available to work all required shift hours and be available to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- May be necessary to travel occasionally to other SpaceX locations
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Lead Technician/Level 3: $30.00 - $38.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Lead Technician/Level 4: $35.00 - $43.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Lead Technician/Level 5: $40.00 - $50.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.