Engineering Manager (Financial Services)
Chicago, IL; Remote
The Financial Services division at SpotOn sits at the intersection of moving money and software engineering. All of SpotOn’s merchant- or customer-facing products that enable commerce — points-of-sale, online ordering, and invoicing, to name a few — use the software built by teams in Financial Services. The teams’ immediate clients are the product engineering teams at SpotOn; their chief products are APIs, SDKs, and documentation that product engineers use daily.
As an Engineering Manager in Financial Services, you will help teams deliver systems that process payments of all types, link payment and other financial data from different sources, and protect sensitive payment card data.
In broad terms, you will develop and execute a management program that:
- keeps your teams focused and engaged;
- maintains a regular release cadence and product backlog;
- upholds a standard of timely and lossless communication; and builds the trust of the individual contributors on your teams.
On a daily basis you will:
- work with peers in Product, QA, and other Engineering departments;
- coach and mentor team members;
- cautiously drive adoption of new technologies and processes;
- preserve our engineering values of quality, scalability, and maintainability;
- “see around corners” — identify blind spots and prioritize work across teams;
- work with international teams to ensure successful product development and delivery; and own the overall architecture and systems engineering for your products.
Some qualifications you might possess:
- exceptional communication and organizational skills;
- experience recruiting for and building software engineering teams;
- the ability to inspire and motivate team members;
- a strong technical background in software engineering and architecture, and experience with modern programming languages and frameworks;
- 10+ years of software development experience; and
- 2+ years of experience managing software teams (as a Team Lead or a Manager) or similar experience as an individual contributor.
The tech stack in Financial Services:
- Kotlin on Android
At SpotOn, we put people above everything else. We’re known for our innovative software and technology solutions, but we stand out because of the hard-working people behind the tech. We can’t take care of our clients without taking care of our employees first, and that’s why we invest in you with a competitive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k with company match
- Restricted Stock Units
- Paid vacation, 11 company holidays, sick time, and volunteer time off
- Headspace membership for guided meditation and stress relieving tools through the Sequoia App*
- Employee Resource Groups for Diversity and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA+, and other communities
- Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse for your home office
- Monthly mobile phone and internet stipend
- Unlimited access to virtual audio and visual workouts through the Sequoia App*
- Subscription to Linkedin Learning to expand your knowledge on all kinds of fun topics
- Tuition reimbursement for up to $2,000 per calendar year to assist with classes of your choice
* for those enrolled in the Anthem plan
- Our base pay range is $150,000 -$195,000 for this role
- Please note the salary range listed is just one component of a competitive compensation package which includes a company stock plan
- Offers will be reflective of the candidate’s location and experience.
SpotOn is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
SpotOn is an e-verify company.
Something looks off?