Platform Engineer (Postgres team)
We're looking for a Supabase Platform Engineer to join our team and elevate our PostgreSQL offerings.
You'll work hand-in-hand with the PostgreSQL team and play an instrumental role in technical decision-making and refining internal methodologies.
The focus of this role is around owning stability and deployment of our products. A first step is to streamline artifact builds/deployments via our public
supabase/postgres GitHub repository. This repository bundles an array of features/products into docker images and AWS AMIs, giving users the ability to run Supabase on our cloud and locally. Subsequently, the role will function as a bridge between product and infrastructure teams to improve the reliability of product deployments and upgrades.
In this role, your primary responsibilities will include:
- Refactoring our supabase/postgres repo to improve components and utilize nix for building, packaging, and conducting high-level infrastructure tests.
- Building tooling that allows for local builds, taps into a public cloud cache, and performs thorough full-stack infrastructure tests on every PR
- Timely PostgreSQL major, minor, and extension upgrades.
- Engaging in proactive identification and resolution of production issues in customer deployments.
- Spearheading the creation of best practices, tools, and tests to ensure enhanced stability and decreased deployment risks over time.
What we need
This role demands the following pivotal qualities:
- PostgreSQL Expert: A profound understanding of PostgreSQL and its associated tools. Familiarity with extensions, performance optimization, and best practices is essential.
- Infrastructure: Proven expertise in infrastructure management, tooling, and optimization.
- Self-directed & Initiative: At Supabase, we value independence and proactive problem-solving. We anticipate you to be a dynamic self-starter, thriving in asynchronous collaboration across diverse teams. Your knack for spotting areas of improvement and commitment to realizing those enhancements will be key.
What you’ll do
- Improve the utility and efficiency of our PostgreSQL offerings.
- Contribute to the enhancement of our public GitHub repositories, especially supabase/postgres.
- Develop tooling and solutions within the Supabase ecosystem.
- Engage with customers routinely, ensuring our solutions resonate with their needs.
- Address and resolve GitHub and Support issues.
- 3+ years experience with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem.
- Familiarity with Nix, Docker, Git, GitHub and associated tooling.
- Eagerness to mold and adapt our development tools/stack.
- Comfortable with regular interactions with customers
Nice to haves
- Experience with PostgREST, gotrue, and other Supabase stack components.
- Exposure to public cloud platforms and deployment methodologies.
- Contributions to significant, open-source projects in the PostgreSQL domain.
- 100% remote work from anywhere in the world. No location-based adjustment to your salary.
- ESOP (equity ownership in the company)
- Autonomous work. We work collaboratively on projects, but you set your own pace.
- Health, Vision and Dental benefits. Supabase covers 100% of the cost for employees and 80% for dependents
- Generous Tech Allowance for any office setup you need
- Annual Education Allowance
- Annually run off-sites.
BUILD IN A WEEKEND. SCALE TO BILLIONS
Supabase adds auth, realtime, and restful APIs to Postgres without a single line of code.
Each project within Supabase is an isolated Postgres cluster, allowing customers to scale independently, while still providing the features that you need to build: instant database setup, auth, row level security, realtime data streams, auto-generating APIs, and a simple to use web interface.
We are a fully remote company.
- We're a startup. It's unstructured.
- Collectively founded more than a dozen venture-backed companies.
- More than 10 different nationalities.
- We deeply believe in the efficacy of collaborative open source. We support existing communities and tools, rather than building "yet another xx".
- We "dogfood" everything. If you use it in your project, we use it in Supabase.
- The entire process is fully remote and all communication will happen over email or via video chat.
- Once you've submitted your application, the team will review your submission, and may reach out for a short screening interview over video call.
- If you pass the screen you will be invited to up to four follow up interviews. The calls:
- usually take between 20-45 minutes each depending on the interviewer.
- are all 1:1.
- will be with both founders, a member of either the growth or engineering team (depending on the role), and usually one other person from your immediate team or function.
- Once the interviews are over, the team will meet to discuss several roles and candidates and may:
- ask one or two follow-up questions over email or a quick call.
- go directly to making an offer.