Culture Champion - HRBP Manager
Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America. We have delivered over $24 billion in affordable and responsible credit over the last 5 years. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1600 talented and dedicated professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
Upgrade is looking for a Culture Champion (more commonly known as an HRBP Manager) for our Phoenix office. This person will be responsible for partnering with business units and their team members on key areas that impact work happiness and company culture. This role is a champion for our team members and is a trusted consultant to the people managers with a focus on the fair treatment of team members to minimize risk for the organization. Reporting to the Director of People Operations (Phoenix), this position provides high quality, proactive and professional service to internal team members throughout their employee lifecycle with a focus on leave of absence management and performance management at our Phoenix Service Center.
What You’ll Do:
- You'll be the voice of our team members by celebrating their successes, hearing their concerns, and providing counsel in areas such as: performance, employee relations, and development
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues
- Conducts effective, thorough, and objective investigations
- Partner with managers to provide guidance on our policies and employment law
- Assist our amazing Learning and Development in facilitating continued education to team members and leaders
- Meet with our supervisors to support them through our leadership development program
- Partner with key stakeholders such as the People Operations, Legal, and Compliance to build new policies that make sense for the organization
- Maintain strong case documentation
What We Look For:
- HRBP Experience within a fast-paced environment as a culture champion
- Possess a good gut instinct that enables you to make decisions based on evidence and experience in the industry
- Experience navigating ambiguity and building out HR processes & policy
- Someone who gets the gist of what's legal and what's not; bonus points if you operate with integrity and do what's right by the team member and company
- Experience supporting start ups in the valley in a People Operations capacity
- Communication wizard and the ability to effectively partner with all levels of team members and leadership
- Experience in a customer facing position in the past (such as hospitality, restaurant, events, etc.) We want customer service ninjas on all of our teams!
- Completed a 4 year college degree in a related field (required)
Nice to Have:
- Fintech experience
- Experience providing HR support in a call center environment
- PHR/SHRM-CP Certification strongly preferred
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
Notice to California-based Candidates for Employment. This California Candidate Privacy Notice is intended to provide information about how Upgrade collects and uses personal information to California consumers who apply for employment with Upgrade If you are employed by Upgrade, refer to the Employee Handbook for additional information. For any questions about this notice, please contact email@example.com.
Personal Information Upgrade Collects:
Identifiers Including name, address, email, telephone number, social security number, driver license number, passport number, and other personal identifying information. Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, including demographic information and other personal information obtained during the application process, such as gender, race, national origin. Professional or employment-related information, such as salary/compensation and benefits packages, other relocation or job preferences, prior background, experience, skills, and other information in support of your application, reference information, other information obtained through background checks, including employment, credit, and criminal history. Education Information. Any other information you provide as a part of recruitment, job application, or interview process.
Purposes for Collecting Personal Information:
To consider qualifications, skills, and interest for employment. To communicate with you during the recruitment and interview process. To conduct background checks and verify your information if you are offered employment. To provide compensation, including payroll, and administer stock options and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, commuter, and retirement benefits. To provide human resources services and conduct performance evaluations. To monitor work eligibility including work-related licenses, credentials, training, and eligibility to work in the United States. To improve recruitment and interview processes and ensure a safe and efficient working environment. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements including state and federal company reporting obligations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.