Senior PostgreSQL DBA
Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America. We have delivered over $21 billion in affordable and responsible credit over the last 5 years. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1500 talented and dedicated professionals. Come join us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
Our Senior Data Operations Engineer will work closely with our Principal DevOps Engineer and should have extensive experience with owning operational tasks on high throughput and complex OLTP RDBMS, including some DBA work on administration, memory, CPU, scoping, configs, maintenance and tuning of DBs (we use Postgres) as well as running pipeline jobs (CI/CD). You’ll need excellent automation skills in data operations and DevOps (Ansible/Terraform), DMS / data pipelining (Redshift, Snowflake, Airflow, or Tableau).
What You’ll Do:
- Own end-to-end production-level data operations tasks including tickets management, data pulls, and data-related requests (automated/manual) from multiple teams.
- Lead the design, development, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of Upgrade's data management systems.
- Lead the development of standards and procedures to maximize DBMS performance, scalability, resilience, security, and data integrity.
- Be available during the on-call rotation – a must (PagerDuty, OpsGenie, etc.).
What We Look For:
- 4+ years of experience with data engineering and operations, including administering production-level, always-on, high throughput, complex OLTP RDBMS.
- In-depth and hands-on knowledge of AWS, Redshift, PostgreSQL (version 9.6+).
- Strong programming/scripting knowledge (SQL, Python, Bash, Go).
- Excellent understanding of Data Operations and DevOps (Ansible/Terraform).
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Production-level experience with data migration/management and data pipelining (Redshift, Snowflake, Airflow, Tableau).
Nice to Have:
Knowledge of SQL Server.
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Learning stipend for personal growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.