Director, Capital Markets - Institutional Sales
Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America two years in a row. We have delivered over $25 billion in affordable and responsible credit to our 2.7M customers. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1600 talented and dedicated professionals. Come work with us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
We are looking to hire a Director of Institutional Sales for our Capital Markets Investor team. The role will be located in San Francisco or New York. The Director of Institutional Sales will be responsible for building and diversifying Upgrade’s funding channels across all five of our asset classes - Personal Loan, Card, Home Improvement, Indirect Auto, and Uplift BNPL. The candidate will be involved in a variety of sales verticals including private/public securitizations, forward flow transactions, rating agency due diligences, bank/warehouse provider negotiations, institutional investor outreach and return analysis.
The position reports directly to the Head of Institutional Sales and can be based in San Francisco or New York in a hybrid capacity.
What You’ll Do:
- Build a stable capital base to support originations across all five of Upgrade's asset classes
- Create innovative funding structures based on investor and market demand
- Identifying new capital opportunities with institutional investors, leverage providers, ratings agencies, and banks
- Manage and strengthen existing investor relationships, including communications on collateral performance, product developments, portfolio analytics, and marketing materials
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of investor documents including all legal and structural matters related to forward flow, warehouse, or securitization transactions
- Maintain detailed CRM to assist in the development of Upgrade’s strategic initiatives
- Advise leadership on investor sentiment and market color for strategic decision-making
- Collaborate with product and credit teams to develop deep understanding of Upgrade’s products and performance
- Represent Upgrade at investor conferences and in-person meetings
What We Look For:
- 7+ years of experience with institutional sales, capital markets, or structured finance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Powerpoint, and Salesforce
- Experience with consumer lending or adjacent credit portfolios
- Ability to identify and prioritize opportunities that align with Upgrade’s funding needs
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment across multiple product lines
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and a strong client service orientation
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience analyzing large data sets preferred
- Willingness to travel
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
The compensation range of this position in San Francisco, CA is USD $165k-$200k annually plus equity and benefits. Within this range, an individual's base pay will be dependent on a variety of factors, including without limitation, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience.
Notice to California-based Candidates for Employment. This California Candidate Privacy Notice is intended to provide information about how Upgrade collects and uses personal information to California consumers who apply for employment with Upgrade If you are employed by Upgrade, refer to the Employee Handbook for additional information. For any questions about this notice, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Information Upgrade Collects:
Identifiers Including name, address, email, telephone number, social security number, driver license number, passport number, and other personal identifying information. Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, including demographic information and other personal information obtained during the application process, such as gender, race, national origin. Professional or employment-related information, such as salary/compensation and benefits packages, other relocation or job preferences, prior background, experience, skills, and other information in support of your application, reference information, other information obtained through background checks, including employment, credit, and criminal history. Education Information. Any other information you provide as a part of recruitment, job application, or interview process.
Purposes for Collecting Personal Information:
To consider qualifications, skills, and interest for employment. To communicate with you during the recruitment and interview process. To conduct background checks and verify your information if you are offered employment. To provide compensation, including payroll, and administer stock options and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, commuter, and retirement benefits. To provide human resources services and conduct performance evaluations. To monitor work eligibility including work-related licenses, credentials, training, and eligibility to work in the United States. To improve recruitment and interview processes and ensure a safe and efficient working environment. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements including state and federal company reporting obligations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.