Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America two years in a row. We have delivered over $25 billion in affordable and responsible credit to our 2.7M customers. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1600 talented and dedicated professionals. Come work with us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
As the Director of Payroll, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of payroll operations for our company. This role requires a seasoned professional with comprehensive experience in handling both US and Canadian payroll processes, including expertise in stock compensation. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, possess strong analytical skills, and have a thorough understanding of payroll regulations in both countries.
This role will be based in our San Francisco office in a hybrid capacity.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee North America payroll operations and stock administration, ensuring accuracy, timeliness, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Build and scale exceptional payroll and stock administration functions to support Upgrade’s growth
- Drive improvements and cross-functional synergies by partnering with Finance, Operations, Legal, People Operations and other organizations
- Build and nurture strong partnerships with payroll service providers
- Manage and oversee the day-to-day operations of the payroll department as well as provide coaching and guidance to the team
- Implement effective controls, establish international payroll and stock administration policies, and ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and other legal requirements applicable in each country, state, and province of operation
- Effectively educate and support employees on payroll and stock-related matters, processes and requirements
What We Look For:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field.
- Expertise in managing payroll operations and stock administration in multiple countries, including a solid understanding of international payroll regulations and compliance requirements
- Demonstrated success in leading the payroll and equity administration functions through rapid growth and global expansion and executing strategies
- Demonstrated success in working cross-functionally to execute strategic initiatives
- Strong leadership and team management skills with a proven track record of building high-performing teams
- Demonstrated success managing 401k payroll administration and annual audits and compliance reviews.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
The compensation range of this position in San Francisco, CA is USD $170,000-$200,000 annually plus equity and benefits. Within this range, an individual's base pay will be dependent on a variety of factors, including without limitation, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience.
Notice to California-based Candidates for Employment. This California Candidate Privacy Notice is intended to provide information about how Upgrade collects and uses personal information to California consumers who apply for employment with Upgrade If you are employed by Upgrade, refer to the Employee Handbook for additional information. For any questions about this notice, please contact email@example.com.
Personal Information Upgrade Collects:
Identifiers Including name, address, email, telephone number, social security number, driver license number, passport number, and other personal identifying information. Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, including demographic information and other personal information obtained during the application process, such as gender, race, national origin. Professional or employment-related information, such as salary/compensation and benefits packages, other relocation or job preferences, prior background, experience, skills, and other information in support of your application, reference information, other information obtained through background checks, including employment, credit, and criminal history. Education Information. Any other information you provide as a part of recruitment, job application, or interview process.
Purposes for Collecting Personal Information:
To consider qualifications, skills, and interest for employment. To communicate with you during the recruitment and interview process. To conduct background checks and verify your information if you are offered employment. To provide compensation, including payroll, and administer stock options and benefits, including medical, dental, vision, commuter, and retirement benefits. To provide human resources services and conduct performance evaluations. To monitor work eligibility including work-related licenses, credentials, training, and eligibility to work in the United States. To improve recruitment and interview processes and ensure a safe and efficient working environment. To comply with applicable legal or regulatory requirements including state and federal company reporting obligations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.