Software Engineer, Governance - US (Remote)
Weights & Biases
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
At Weights & Biases, our mission is to build the best developer tools for machine learning. Weights & Biases is a series C company with $250 million in funding and a rapidly growing user base. Our platform is an essential piece of the daily work for machine learning engineers, from academic research institutions like FAIR and UC Berkeley to massive enterprise teams including iRobot, OpenAI, Toyota Research Institute, Samsung, NVIDIA, Salesforce, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Lyft, and more.
Reporting to the Enterprise Engineering Manager, the Software Engineer, Governance will own and maintain features relevant to platform security. This would include RBAC, audit logs, storing data on remote cloud resources, authentication and authorization.
This role will be entrusted with the authority and responsibility of conceptualizing, creating, and maintaining particular features pertinent to platform security. This will encompass a broad range of security elements including but not limited to Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), audit logs, managing and storing data in remote cloud resources, and dealing with authentication and authorization processes.
Part of this function includes extending the architecture with a focus on enhancing and securing how data is stored and accessed on cloud-based systems. The chosen candidate will be expected to demonstrate an apt understanding of these areas and the ability to work with current technology to maintain and improve these systems.
Uniquely, the Software Engineer, Governance role will be seen not only as a central figure within the in-house team but will also act as a key liaison between the company and its enterprise customers. This involves acting as a strategic partner, working closely with customers who are in the enterprise segment to troubleshoot, devise solutions, and optimize their use of Weights & Biases, keeping the essential aspect of security in mind.
This collaboration will involve a thorough understanding of each customer's unique operational challenges, working through problems together, and collectively arriving at solutions that are tailored towards enhancing their usage of our platform, all while ensuring maximum security and data protection.
- Assume a pivotal role within the Governance team, focusing on developing, deploying and maintaining key platform security features such as authentication mechanisms, Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), audit logging, and efficient structuring of organizations and teams within the system
- Strengthen cross-department collaboration, effectively streamlining the process of gathering vital system requirement details and aiding the overall implementation
- Design, develop, and implement software solutions that cater not only to the business goals but also align seamlessly with end-user needs
- Build powerful, user-friendly, and scalable web-based solutions capable of handling complex business problems with ease
- Interact directly with enterprise customers, grasping their unique challenges and working through problems together to devise operational and security solutions optimal for their usage
- Maintain high standards of data management by ensuring the secure handling and storing of data
- Minimum of 3 years experience as software engineer in a professional setting
- Solid understanding of various authentication protocols including but not limited to Sessions, JWT, OIDC, SAML, and LDAP is mandatory.
- Demonstrable expertise in designing, developing, and managing complex authentication systems, role-based access control mechanisms, and audit log management processes.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a proactive approach to identifying, diagnosing, and resolving system glitches as well as programming issues.
- Adaptability is crucial. The candidate must display a readiness to take on different roles, functions, and responsibilities as required by the project or the team
- An ability to work and deliver independently, desirably with a proven track record of completing tasks within stipulated time frames
- Prior experience working with at least one of the major cloud infrastructure providers such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure is preferred
- Proficiency in Golang and Typescript
- Our Benefits
- 🏝️ Flexible time off
- 🩺 Medical, Dental, and Vision for employees and Family Coverage
- 🏠 Remote first culture with in-office flexibility in San Francisco
- 💵 Home office budget with a new high-powered laptop
- 🥇 Truly competitive salary and equity
- 🚼 12 weeks of Parental leave (U.S. specific)
- 📈 401(k) (U.S. specific)
- Supplemental benefits may be available depending on your location
- Explore benefits by country
We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't perfectly align with the job description as we seek out diverse and creative perspectives. Team members who love to learn and collaborate in an inclusive environment will flourish with us. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.