Technical Accounting Manager
Xendit provides payment infrastructure across Southeast Asia, with a focus on Indonesia and the Philippines. We process payments, power marketplaces, disburse payroll and loans, provide KYC solutions, prevent fraud, and help businesses grow exponentially. We serve our customers by providing a suite of world-class APIs, eCommerce platform integrations, and easy to use applications for individual entrepreneurs, SMEs, and enterprises alike.
Our main focus is building the most advanced payment rails for Southeast Asia, with a clear goal in mind — to make payments across in SEA simple, secure and easy for everyone. We serve thousands of businesses ranging from SMEs to multinational enterprises, and process millions of transactions monthly. We’ve been growing rapidly since our inception in 2015, onboarding hundreds of new customers every month, and backed by global top-10 VCs. We’re proud to be featured on among the fastest growing companies by Y-Combinator.
Our team is looking for an experienced and technically minded technical accounting manager that uses deep technical knowledge of accounting standards (i.e. US GAAP and various local GAAP such as Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand and any other countries that Xendit ventures into), commercial understanding of FinTech and payment gateway industry, analytical skill and strong interpersonal skills to ensure all financial results are compliant with the relevant accounting standards.
In addition, this role is not limited to review of historic transactions - the technical accounting manager is involved at the initiation stage to ensure that the accounting impact of transactions is appropriately considered and communicated to senior decision-makers and leverages a variety of stakeholder relationships to ensure that accounting-related projects are implemented effectively. Where new transactions or accounting policy changes require changes to systems and processes, the technical accounting manager will work with the internal audit team and various stakeholders in ensuring that these are made consistently and appropriately across the Group, including the implementation of controls where necessary.
Furthermore, this role will be one of the key persons in ensuring that the Group and subsidiaries are prepared for the year end audits done by Big 4 auditors, and that these audits are passed with an unqualified opinion within the required timeframe at both local and group level. This role involves working closely with the Group Financial Controller in Singapore, Regional Financial Controllers as well as reporting to the Head of Audit and Accounting.
- Financial reporting and accounting analysis
- Able to understand and analyze the local and US GAAP requirements for all entities within the group to ensure proper consolidation at a group level
- Able to extract data from and review our accounting systems to perform necessary analysis on accounting treatments
- Able to prepare and review technical accounting memo that are Big 4 audit quality for transactions analyzed, e.g. acquisitions, restructurings, financial instruments, etc
- Lead or support cross-disciplinary teams in designing and implementing technical accounting projects, including changes to accounting standards and accounting policies
- Uses an awareness of control and process design principles to ensure that accounting changes result in suitable system/process updates to ensure that activities are subject to appropriate financial reporting controls and governance
- Attend monthly closing meetings to ensure proper accounting of our management accounts to review and confirm a universal treatment across the group and advise on any gray areas
- Review both local statutory and Group financial statements and collaborate with the relevant teams on preparation of financial statements
- Able to work on projects such as post-M&A integration and immerse into the Xendit financial way of things:
- Capable of ensuring implementation of Xendit’s accounting policies/SOPs in newly acquired entities, including identifying and assessing impact of GAAP differences to ensure consistent accounting treatment across the Xendit Group; and
- Liaise daily with the relevant Xendit groups
- Nice to have transfer pricing and arms length transaction knowledge in the SE Asia region
- Other ad-hoc tasks and projects as assigned
- Periodically support the review of intercompany reconciliations and investigate past issues, if necessary.
- Managing regional teams to ensure that the teams are providing the proper Balance Sheet reconciliations on a monthly basis
- Audit and Tax Filing Support
- Assist in coordination of global and local audits by project managing the regional teams in schedule preparations and other audit requests
- Be a key contact for our external advisors on US GAAP conversion and our group auditors.
- Be familiar with tax and bank requirements for cross-border settlement of related party transactions.
- Learning and development
- Stays up-to-date with accounting developments and proactively manages the impact of such developments on the business
- Provides training in technical accounting matters to operational finance teams where appropriate
What we’re looking for
- You are detail oriented and able to manage multiple priorities while maintaining quality work
- You have a discerning ability to prioritize workload in line with tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure
- You are a team player and communicate well with internal and external stakeholders
- You have great ownership mentality and have proven you can push towards a goal by yourself
- You pick up new skills quickly using a combination of self-exploration and relationship building
- You are a creative thinker who considers problems from a customer perspective while being pragmatic and solutions oriented when solving them
- You are a Finance graduate with professional qualifications such as ACCA, CPA or ICAEW qualification
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Technical Accounting Manager, Financial Reporting Manager, Financial Controller or as an Audit Manager looking to move into industry
- You are well versed in US GAAP and local GAAP of SE Asian countries
- Deep technical knowledge in accounting, plus point for audit knowledge and experience
- Strong communication skills